Friday, October 3, 2014

Review: Rock Addiction by Nalini Singh

Title: Rock Addiction (Rock Kiss #1)
Author: Nalini Singh
Publisher: TKA Distribution
Publication date: September 9th 2014
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble


A bad boy wrapped in a sexy, muscled, grown-up package might be worth a little risk… 

Molly Webster has always followed the rules. After an ugly scandal tore apart her childhood and made her the focus of the media’s harsh spotlight, she vowed to live an ordinary life. No fame. No impropriety. No pain. Then she meets Zachary Fox, a tattooed bad boy rocker with a voice like whiskey and sin, and a touch that could become an addiction.

A one-night stand with the hottest rock star on the planet, that’s all it was meant to be…

Fox promises scorching heat and dangerous pleasure, coaxing Molly to extend their one-night stand into a one-month fling. After that, he’ll be gone forever, his life never again intersecting with her own. Sex and sin and sensual indulgence, all with an expiration date. No ties, no regrets. Too late, Molly realizes it isn’t only her body that’s become addicted to Fox, but her heart…
(Image and summary taken from Goodreads.)


Review:

When I heard that Nalini Singh would be releasing a Contemporary Romance, I knew that I needed it. Like, with a burning passion. If there are two things that I love, they would have to be rock star romances and Nalini Singh; and putting those two things together pretty much made my year. Rock Addiction had me addicted, I could not pull myself away from it, while the story may not have been the most original, the intensity and writing really drew me in.

While Molly may have been apprehensive about Fox, I was apprehensive about her. I felt that she was a bit too innocent (if you know what I mean) and the genericness of that aspect of her kinda bummed me out, even her being a librarian added to that. But what distracted me from her virginal-ness was her snark and fierceness, I really liked that Molly gave as good as she got. And while her occupation had a downside in terms of originality, I liked that it bled into her everyday life as well; her unintentional usage of highfalutin (hehe) words was really cute. As I read on, I grew to like Molly not just as a character, but also as a human being. Nalini Singh was able to flesh her out and make her likeable and more realistic, someone with normal problems (and not just a rockstar chasing after you). In the beginning, Molly started out as a dull blade, aged and rusty with unuse, her fears preventing her from doing anything significant, but as the story wore on, she started to sharpen and become lethal, someone brave and confident enough to face the craziness that is the life of being a rockstar's girl and also to know and accept her own self.

Zachary Fox was the epitome of a rockstar sex god. His voice was actual sex, like, insta-eargasm. If you have never done the dirty deed, just listen to his voice, that is what sex sounds and feels like; Fox's voice will wrap itself around your body, slowly caressing you and while it is whispering the most erotic things to your ear, it will also fill your body up until all you can think and breathe is Fox. *fans self* I swear, that man is so damn potent. Fox is the perfect mix of dirty, sexy man and sweet, protective lover. Make no mistake, while he may have a soft side (usually only shown to Molly), he is still an alpha male and like to be in charge. Like, please, you can be in charge of me any time. I mean it, any time. Ahem, excuse me. But seriously speaking, I loved the way Nalini Singh characterised Fox. Sighhh.

The chemistry between Fox and Molly was evident right from the very beginning, the sexual tension was so thick I could literally feel it emanating from the book. I really enjoyed the banter between them, the clash of ideas and personalities made their relationship all the more interesting. The two had their ups and downs but that fueled the romance between them even more (angry sex = so hot). But their relationship wasn't just about their sexual chemistry, the stories exchanged between them and the trust that grew between them warmed my heart. I was also very impressed by how Nalini Singh was able to paint the image of what it is like being with a rockstar and how the public will view it. The whole paparazzi and fame aspect of the book added more drama and excitement to the book. I found myself cheering for Fox and Molly throughout to book. I mean, who wouldn't?

I was very surprised by Nalini Singh's writing in this book; it was completely different from her normal style. It was impressive how she was able to distance herself from her normal writing and transition into a different voice; it almost felt like I was not reading her book but then I would find signature bits and pieces of her in Rock Addiction that reminded me why I love Nalini Singh so much. I swear, that woman is some kind of writing goddess. *bows down*

Rock Addiction is the perfect read for anyone who is looking for a book with the right amount of angst, steam (okay, Rock Addiction was H-O-T) and substance; this book was not just about Molly and Fox, Nalini Singh created a great cast of characters that will make you laugh, sympathise and fall in love with them. Nalini Singh was able to compose the the most perfectly imperfect song with Rock Addiction, the edges and rhythm rough and sensual but tone and harmony balanced and will greatly appeal to your senses, get ready to be taken to a whole new level of wow, you will not want to stop listening to this song (trust me, you will have the best/worst case of Last Song Syndrome). You will be addicted. I really look forward to reading to rest of the Rock Kiss series!

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment