Friday, August 2, 2013

Review: Anatomy of A Boyfriend by Daria Snadowsky

Title: Anatomy of a Boyfriend
Author: Daria Snadowsky
Pages: 272 pages
Format acquired: Paperback
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Publication date: January 9th 2007
Source: Received from the author
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble


Before this all happened, the closest I'd ever come to getting physical with a guy was playing the board game Operation. Okay, so maybe that sounds pathetic, but it's not like there were any guys at my high school who I cared to share more than three words with, let alone my body.

Then I met Wes, a track star senior from across town. Maybe it was his soulful blue eyes, or maybe my hormones just started raging. Either way, I was hooked. And after a while, he was too. I couldn't believe how intense my feelings became, or the fact that I was seeing—and touching—parts of the body I'd only read about in my Gray's Anatomy textbook. You could say Wes and I experienced a lot of firsts together that spring. It was scary. It was fun. It was love.

And then came the fall.
(Image and summary taken from Goodreads.)

Review:

I've been DYING to read this book. I literally screamed for joy when I got the notice from our mailman (we collect our packages by ourselves here) I was like, "Daria Snadowsky?? EEEEK!"

That excitement was wasted on nothing, folks. Simply put, this may be the funny, rom-com, coming-of-age, totally embarrassing on some parts life story that I am looking for. I never thought I would find one again after Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison but here it is! While they both made my tummy ache with laughs and had some tidbits of amazing wisdom in them, I'd have to say that AOAB has a more mature feel to it. Maybe because I can relate to her even though I have NO IDEA what she's going through. Come to think of it, it's the authors like Ms. Snadowsky that are best in her field, because even if she writes something you have nada experience or knowledge at, she's able to make you feel like you're in the loop. Not just some creepy stranger watching the life of a teenage girl alá psycopath.

The story itself is an EXTREMELY accurate description of what every teenager goes through. All the doubt, self consciousness, the fear, the falling in love, the falling out of love and everything that happens in between. Like most of us, Dom is your average nerd. Books, books and more books! She has this one-track mind and she's really focused on getting or reaching her end goal of becoming a doctor and she is not letting anything get in her way. She came off as like, this super aggressive but shy smart kid. She had no experience with boys until that one fateful day she tripped on her haste to reach the Port-a-potti. Yup. Bummer. But it's totally fine because she and boy hit it off and become more that friends. For me though, this looks like it's a little too fast and that it wouldn't last long and I was right. Relationships that take a week to build take even less to crumble. The harsh reality of this book made me laugh because I haven't encountered an author that has been honest and so true in her words that you just laugh and nod at it. For me, Dom really progressed as a person. She learned a lot of new things and most of her answers have been answered and for me, that's the beauty of going through your teenage years. No one expects you to actually do anything right yet so you can mess us as much times as you want and everyone will understand. It's kind of like your trial test before taking the real one. AOAB has both its funny moments and sad. It has both romance and heartbreak and it is just the perfect blend for any teenager who is looking for a funny new friend that'll share her teenage trial about hearts and love story in a nutshell. Wes for me was your typical high school boy. Some parts smart some parts sweet. Most parts confusing drama queen and majority horndog. I still can't believe people can change in almost an insant. Or maybe they actually are bad to begin with and are changing and we just choose to ignore these because we're so infatuated with them. Her best friend Amy is such a comic relief that I could kiss her. She's always so happy and saying inappropriate things at the most random times. She's the character I can relate to the most. I'm keeping this review short and sweet because these past few weeks, I have been drowning in schoolwork. Glub glub glub.

Rating:

2 comments:

  1. Amazing review, Geraldine! I can't wait to check on this one as well! ^_^

    Kyle @ The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I think I have a copy a copy of this that is still untouch due to the non-stop piling of my TBR. Glad to know it's a rom-com because I enjoy reading those. Sometimes, we just need to laugh and enjoy while reading a book. :)

    Arra
    Style Reader

    ReplyDelete