Monday, January 28, 2013

ARC Review: Shadows in the Silence by Courtney Allison Moulton

Title: Shadows in the Silence (Angelfire #3)
Author: Courtney Allison Moulton
Pages: 469 pages
Format acquired: Paperback (ARC)
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Publication date: January 29th 2013
Source: Received from publisher for an honest review (Thanks, Christine!)
Pre-order the book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble

Your strength in heart and hand will fall. . . .
Ellie knows that the darkest moments are still to come, and she has everything to fight for:

She must fight for Will.
The demonic have resorted to their cruelest weapons to put Will in mortal danger, and Ellie makes an unlikely alliance to save him and to stop Lilith and Sammael, who seek to drown the world in blood and tear a hole into Heaven.

She must fight for humanity.
As the armies of Hell rise and gather for the looming End of Days, Ellie and her band of allies travel to the world’s darkest and most ancient regions in her quest to come into her full glory as the archangel Gabriel.

And Ellie must save herself.
Her humanity withers beneath the weight of her cold archangel power, but Ellie must hold tight to who she is and who she loves as she prepares for the ultimate battle for Heaven and Earth.

In this final installment in the Angelfire trilogy, Courtney Allison Moulton brings her dark world of epic battles and blistering romance to a blazing bright conclusion.

(Image and summary taken from Goodreads)

Review:

Do you know those moments when you feel like you want to throw something out the window and then go outside to pick it up just to throw it back out again? I had a lot of those moments while reading Shadows in the Silence. There were parts that left me so frustrated that just wanted to clobber someone but there were also parts that left me so elated that I wanted to hug the person I almost clobbered. Courtney Allison Moulton will literally bash your heart into a gazillion little pieces and then super-glue it back together in a matter of a few pages. There will be times when you think that you've outsmarted Courtney Allison Moulton but in truth, she's outsmarted you... yet again.

For long time fans of the Angelfire series, trust me when I say that you will not be left disappointed reading Shadows in the Silence. Courtney Allison Moulton leaves a trail of breadcrumbs that you will keep chomping on but as you get near the part when the trail ends, it only keeps getting more exciting. Shadows in the Silence has to be my most favorite book of the series. There's something just so special about it that makes it shine brighter that it's predecessors. I think it's mostly because of the fact that Shadows in the Silence is more mature than the books that came before it. Not in the sense that there are explicit scenes or anything but in a way that the characters, the storyline and even the author becomes more "mature". You'll notice a big difference in the way the author writes as well. And that's something I really appreciated reading Shadows in the Silence. There being a progressiveness to the way the author writes and executes her action scenes, lovey-dovey scenes and whatnot.

Shadows in the Silence will never lack in the fighting/action department, and I thank the Lord for that. I live for the fight scenes in the Angelfire books. I love the easy flow of Ellie and Will fighting together, there's just something so magical about them that captivates me. Courtney Allison Moulton will never sell you short in that department and trust me, the fight scenes in this book are just TOO EPIC FOR WORDS. Seriously.

I never thought I'd ever fall in love with a girl before, but I totally fell for Ellie. Hard. When you read Angelfire, you find a beautiful (badass) girl whose still slightly confused as to what she's destined for, in Wings of the Wicked you see a girl who's recovering from the life-altering incident that happened to her, and in Shadows of the Silence you find a girl who's purpose is renewed and has already discovered her destiny and isn't afraid to utilize all her powers. THAT is what made me fall for Ellie, her change from being a slightly weak girl to The Preliator. You see that, sort of, evolution happening and you see a new Ellie reborn in each book, looking better and more badass as they go. And trust me, she is an absolute BADASS in this book. Though the most dreaded thing in the world happened (I'm not sure you know what I mean but I won't spoil it for you,) but the way Courtney Allison Moulton smoothed it out made me want to hug her senseless. You can really see that no matter how much we feel like we're not ourselves, we will always have ounce of humanity to keep us grounded. I'm also really glad that Ellie isn't the type of protag who's confused as to who she loves. There is no love triangle in this series because there's really just only one person she loves, and that's Will. No matter how extremely yummy Cadan is, it's never going to happen. (Courtney, please feel free to send Cadan to me, I'll add him to my harem.) And those lovey-dovey scenes I was talking about? Swoon-worthy!

I suggest you all start with Angelfire first and then work up to Shadows in the Silence because this series is just too awesome to take a pass on. If you want your action, romance and Fantasy hot, then this series is for you. You will fall in love with the characters and you will also loathe characters to death, but that's really just the way it is. I'm really sad to see this series go but oddly enough, there were no tears shed. Most likely because I was too busy with my heart stopping at timed intervals due to the anticipation of reading certain parts. Heart-stopping action FTW. Y'all seriously need to check this series out. You will love every single second reading it. *brandishes Kopesh swords* Shinyyy!

Rating:
.5


1 comment:

  1. I have Angelfire on my Kindle, and with some of my favorite series coming to an end, I think I'll start this series soon. Great review :-)

    ReplyDelete