Sunday, December 23, 2012

Review: Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Title: Slammed (Slammed #1)
Author: Colleen Hoover
Pages: 311 pages
Published on: January 4th 2012
Source: Purchased in Amazon (Kindle)
Buy the book: Amazon / Barnes and Noble

Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope. 

Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.


Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.

(Summary from Goodreads)

Review:

Slammed is one of those books that you want to love but only end up liking. The plot is great, the characters are relatable and it definitely reaches out to you but you know that something is missing or just too much. This book was both. I felt like it was going too fast and too slow at the same time. Will and Layken's relationship progressed in a really bipolar way, it speeds up but it also slows down there is no middle ground. The fact that they pretty much fell for each other on the third day that they met is pretty unbelievable. Especially when you first meet Layken, she's this girl with a dry sense of humor and is pretty intelligent, you actually don't expect her to be the type to fall for a guy so easily, so their "relationship" was really hard for me to swallow.

Other than that I actually enjoyed reading the book, it was a bit too sobby for me but it was okay. There's definitely a lot of deaths in this book (trust me, not a spoiler) and I guess that was one of the factors is to why Will and Layken got so close with each other. It's a very emotional book and I wouldn't recommend it to those who don't like emotional books because you'll either just get really sad or annoyed.

The biggest idea of this book that made me like it some much were the slam poems. They were the most beautiful things I had ever read. Slam poetry is really differently than normal poetry because people actually pour their anguish and feelings into it. I literally felt like crying when I read some of the poems. How Colleen Hoover managed to put so much feelings and passion into poems amazed me. And it was a very, very nice touch to the book, very unique and definitely pulls at the reader's heartstrings. (I actually imagined the characters rapping the poems, I don't know why... Haha!)

I'd have to say that my favorite characters in the book were Caulder (Will's brother) and Kell (Layken's brother.) They are the sweetest little boys that you will read about. I can't really give you an example without spoiling the book for you but what happened during Halloween really warmed my heart. I could really see how much their siblings loved and cherished them, so their moments were really aww-worthy. When you read about the things that Will and Caulder went through, you'll understand what "sibling love" truly means, how much you're willing to sacrifice for your sibling and what you're willing to do to protect them. Their story really broke my heart.

If you want to read a book with an artistic twist to it, then Slammed is the book for you. And also if you're a fan of emotional and angsty books, you should try this one out. Though the romance part may have been a bit rushed, everything else about this book was great. You could really understand the character's pain and you'll end up empathizing with them as well. Colleen Hoover creates vulnerable and melancholic characters that find relief and comfort in their families and loved ones. Slammed is a very heartwarming book that will make you realize just how important your family really is.

Rating:

3 comments:

  1. I also liked the two little kids! And I know what you meant about the Halloween thing. It warmed my heart, as well. A total 'Aww' factor.

    I'd agree with the falling-too-fast. I would like to see them fall in love in the romantic ways but I end up loving the book, anyway.
    And yes, it also me cry. Aaand the slam poem. I love, love it. Super agree with you.

    Glad you liked the book! :D

    Michelle Shouts Random

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your review, I really liked the book but something somewhere felt missing to me too. I loved the slam poems. They made me feel so many emotions. Great Review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Insta-love is a negative for me, but I have read some good reviews for Slammed and have to check it out. The slam poems are an interesting element. Thanks for your informative review. It is probably the most helpful review for this one that I have read.

    ReplyDelete